Thursday 27 January 2011

Where is my Devore?!

Still waiting on shipment of my Devore that I bought A WEEK PAST MONDAY! I phoned the wifey up today (after sending TWO emails) and they "don't have it in stock yet, but we emailed you on the 19th to let you know... 1. Why did it not say 'Out of stock' on the website? and 2. They did not email me. "It might have been sent to your spam". It didn't. I'm getting slightly anxious now, as I have a week to finish the garment... Stress fest.

Anywhoos, rage face over, I completed my pigeon samples (from developments posted in 'Introducing... Carrier Pigeons' on 13/01), and here they are:



Both samples were constructed by using melted wax on white/black cotton jersey, which was then cooled and cracked. In between the cracks I applied black/white acrylic paint respectively. To remove the excess wax left on the surface of the sample, I ironed the material which was sandwiched between newspaper print. I had to do this numerous times until the fabric wasn't stiff, however, the stretch has been lost. Not great for my intended leggings. However, if my Devore had come... Did I mention I haven't received my Devore paste yet?

As well as these samples, I have been sketching some final garment design ideas:


This was intended to be a floor-length gown in black jersey with devore application and waxed feathers at the neckline. This is my favourite design, however, I won't be using it as the final garment for two reasons. Firstly, it doesn't have much of a textile element to it, and secondly, it isn't 'conceptual' enough. I might just have to make it for me...





I liked the second of the above two images more because I thought you'd be able to get a better view of the textile element here.  Both incorporate all four samples: QR Code, Stamp Quilting, EL Wire and devore jersey.

However, the winner was *drumroll*...


It's probably the weaker of the four drawings with regards to detail, but I like the way it will (hopefully!) show off each evolved mailing system on each of the three skirts at jaunty angles. I also like the bodice, which will be very fitted and covered in feather print. The whole dress will be made entirely of canvas, giving it the feel of old postal bags and rendering it stiff and structured. Contrast will be added with the leggings and sleeves in cotton jersey which should lend a dainty quality to the final garment.

1 comment: