Monday 24 January 2011

'1 New Message'


This is my first attempt at using Electroluminescent Wire (EL Wire for short) and I'm pretty happy with the results! I bought 3m, complete with battery pack, for £8.95 from glow.co.uk. At first I tried to sew with invisible thread, but my machine didn't like it too much, so this is sewn with a blue cotton thread in zig-zag stitch. Once the wire is turned on, it gives off a strong blue glow, much like the alert system of mobile phones and email devices today. Another benefit of this wire is that it also has a two-speed flash function, as if you've just received a new text message.

I decided upon a simplified envelope icon in blue, white and pink EL Wire.  My ultimate aim is to have each coloured wire flash at different times (and to include a pocket on the final garment to store the battery packs in!)

5 comments:

  1. looking good! Slightly jealous. haha On the plus side you wont see the sitching on the catwalk. :D welldone! xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awsome idea! Have u looked into reflective yarn. Its waaaay too expensive but looks awsome. Not the same as this though. Man ur stuff is awsome! Jealous. Xxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my goodness Steph you have done so much,I now feel I have not done enough samples...AT ALL.
    Looks amazing though,love the idea of the flashing envelopes!
    X

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks guys!:)

    Hopefully it'll be a bit neater when I've got it perfected!

    Was thinking about something reflective for my QR Code pattern, but I think I'm just going to stick with good ol' fashioned fabric painting for it... Think my garment's going to have enough going on haha!

    ReplyDelete