Thursday 13 January 2011

Introducing... Carrier Pigeons!

So I wanted to explore the 'You've Got Mail' theme from the very basic, early forms of the postal service, right up to the latest technology of today.  One of the earliest forms I could think of was homing pigeons, so I started looking at their feathers, their legs, the scrolls etc... Here is an exmple of my sketchbook work on carrier pigeons so far:


Here, I am looking at the detail of the leg, and below is a textile sample taken from the drawing.  I've created this surface on paper using charcoal, wax and Indian ink.  My aim for this sample is to transfer the same surface from paper to material for a pair of leggings or sleeves.  I was thinking about working in cotton jersey, and perhaps combining devore with white/black emulsion sprayed on top.  Any other suggestions, feel free to give me a shout - it would be greatly appreciated!:)


Below are some textile studies of feathers.  On top is a section of canvas employing various stitching techniques.  Beneath the canvas, I have trapped feathers in wax.  I really like the trapped feathers, but stitching into wax is a nightmare, so I'll have to look at other possibilities, such as laminating, latex, gelatine...  Don't know how that last one would work out, but it's worth a bash!


Below: Feathers coated in wax.  The dirty-looking brown ones were actually white, but I used Potassium Permanganate to give them this rotten, filthy pigeon look.  Very chic!


So, that's it for the first part of 'You've Got Mail'.  I really enjoyed working with feathers actually, which is surprising to me because they've always kind of creeped me out before! It's also sort of relevant, since The Black Swan comes out in cinema's next week... I'm so excited, I've been looking forward to its release since last summer!  I'll bet there are a lot of feathers and ballet-inspired clothes out this S/S!

3 comments:

  1. Arg i just typed a long comment and then realised Josh was signed in so it came up as from Chic Young bah!

    I want to go see The Black Swan too it looks so good! I was using pot permang today too but not on feathers mine was for something a lot more boring!

    Btw i think you should do your You've Got Mail project on the film You've Got Mail! How awesome would that be?! :P

    xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oooh, I feel so intelligent using the same chemicals as a PhD student! And no, that would not be awesome, it has Meg Ryan in it. Actually, was that a Rikki contribution there? Haaa.

    xxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. NO! That was all my wit in there - Rikki is offended you thought he would mention that film! He says he hasn't even seen it! I think it's good except for Meg Ryan...i like watching them setting up their computers and it taking so long with the dialling tones haha!

    And we use that chemical quite a lot! but not to make brown feathers...

    xxx

    p.s. i'm impressed you're doing work!

    ReplyDelete